纽芬兰致力提高出租车乘车安全

纽芬兰致力提高出租车乘车安全

The Newfoundland and Labrador government is making moves to ensure taxis are roadworthy and cabbies are capable of driving safely — but has stopped short of requiring background checks into their past behaviour, when they aren’t behind the wheel.

The province has instead left that task to cab companies and municipalities.

“Because the taxi industry, the taxi companies, are doing it themselves,” Service NL Minister Sherry Gambin-Walsh told reporters.

“They’ve taken ownership of that requirement. And they understand the safety concerns engaged around that particular process.”

The minister said she remains open to discussions with St. John’s city council, which has asked the province to include background and vulnerable sector checks in its licensing requirements.

Council made that request after a 2016 CBC News investigation revealed gaps in oversight of taxi drivers.

The issue has been in the spotlight since a cabbie was charged earlier that year with on-the-job sexual assaults. He has since been convicted.

Drivers, taxis subject to new regulations

Among the series of regulatory changes unveiled Wednesday morning, were requirements for specialized driving training for new cabbies, and more random inspections of vehicles.

Derek Hayter of Newfound Cabs welcomed the moves by the province.

“Going forward, it’s going to make a positive change to the industry, with little doubt it’s going to be a positive change, in that the drivers will have a more professional standing. Their driving skills will be improved,” he said.

New drivers will need to be licensed for at least two years before they can apply to pilot a cab, and pass a written exam and road test.

Drivers from jurisdictions that don’t have a reciprocity agreement with Newfoundland and Labrador will have to hold a licence in this province for two years before applying to drive a taxi. That’s up from one year now.

On the enforcement side, taxi licences will be revoked for anyone with three or more Highway Traffic Act driving-related convictions in a two-year period.

Licences will also be pulled for any Criminal Code conviction related to driving, or Highway Traffic Act conviction related to bodily harm and/or death.

There will also be new inspection requirements, after a recent series of roadside inspections turned up issues. 

Gaps in taxi oversight revealed

A year and a half ago, a CBC News investigation revealed gaps in oversight for the taxi industry in St. John’s.

Soon after, St. John’s city council began lobbying the province to create a special class of taxi licence that would include background checks for drivers.

But the province has remained cool to the idea.

While the conflict continued between the two levels of government, the industry began making moves to regulate itself, and burnish its image.

Some taxi companies now require drivers to provide a criminal background check and vulnerable sector check.

“We were already doing that anyway,” said George Murphy of Jiffy Cabs, which has about 200 drivers.

“If there’s an argument between government and municipalities over that … let them argue.”

The Newfoundland and Labrador Taxi Alliance recently received $52,000 from the province to go toward first aid, sensitivity and driver training.

And this week, St. John’s council approved a plan to partner with the industry to help keep an eye on the streets.

&nbsp

本文来自CBC News。本文观点不代表Chinese Students at MUN立场,转载请联系原作者。

出处:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-tax-regulations-road-passenger-safety-1.4664075

(0)
上一篇 2018年4月29日 下午12:47
下一篇 2018年5月16日 下午7:06

相关推荐

  • 加拿大大麻合法后,美国海关提醒五大注意事项

    中新网10月18日电 据《加中时报》报道,鉴于加拿大全国已对大麻合法,美国海关和边境保护局发出重要通知,警告入境美国的人士,不要把大麻带入美国。报道称,美国边境官员发布记者会表示,就大麻在加拿大合法后,跨越加美边境的规定作出特别说明。 以下是五项主要规定: 一、加拿大特赦大麻罪犯 美国并不承认 加拿大联邦政府17日宣布将对过去因为持有少量大麻(不超过30克)…

    2018年10月18日
    0
  • 加拿大3年增收10万中国留学生 留学拒签率逐年下降

    中新网7月31日电 据加拿大《加中时报》报道,加拿大政府敞开大门欢迎中国留学生,最近几年,联邦移民部共向10万多中国留学生发出留学签证。 加拿大联邦移民部提供数据显示,从2015年到2018年4月,移民部共向10.3万中国留学生签发了学生签证(Study Permits),其中2015年和2016年分别引进中国留学生3.7万人,2017年3.8万人,今年首4…

    2018年8月1日
    0
  • 加拿大自由党通过全民基本收入 每人每月$2000

    4月10日,加拿大联邦自由党召开党大会,以491:85大比数票数通过全民基本收入、全民药物计划和长期护理等10多个方案,包括老人保障收入金(OAS)涨10%! 这项由自由党核心小组共同提出决议,呼吁联邦政府建立全民基本收入(universal basic income,简称UBI)。在自由党执政党的线上大会上以491:85票获得通过。 它将自动成为党的官方政…

    2021年4月10日
    0
  • 加拿大移民部超收签证费2亿 涉数十万中国人

    加拿大移民部因为超收签证费遭到集体起诉,这宗案子已经得到联邦法院的核准,可能成为加拿大有史以来最大的一宗集体诉讼。 据Global News报道,诉讼指自2005年至2015年期间,中国、印度和菲律宾等多次临时居留签证的申请人支付的签证费,超出了加拿大政府实际处理成本。 涉数十万中国人 此案涉及超过200万份签证申请,追讨金额约2亿加元。需要签证入境加拿大的…

    2018年11月11日
    0